If you want to get to know a truly unique language, choose Hungarian at the University of Pittsburgh. Start at the beginner level in Hungarian 1 and build up your proficiency in the subsequent levels. Fulfill your language requirement and build confidence to speak, read, write, and understand the language whether you are learning it out of an interest in linguistics, the history of the region, your heritage, or just fun. Taught by native Hungarian Viktoria Batista, you will also heighten your understanding of the culture and customs, and get a taste of Hungarian film, music, and literature. We look forward to see you in our classes!
Four levels of Hungarian are offered at the University of Pittsburgh. For more information, please click here.
Why Study Hungarian?
- Hungarian is one of the few modern languages of Europe that is not of Indo-European origin.
- Intrigued by the uniqueness of the Hungarian language?
- Want to learn the language of of your Hungarian ancestors
Use Hungarian to Earn Pitt Credentials
- Russian and East European Studies Certificate
- European Union Studies Certificate
- Western European Certificate
- Global Studies Certificate
- General Education Requirements
- Lingustics Major Language Requirement
- BPHIL in IAS-Global Studies Track
What do students say?
"Learning Hungarian has impacted by life because I have been able to learn the language that my grandmother grew up speaking. It has also helped me understand another part of the world that is not talked about a lot and I would recommend to study Hungarian because it is unlike any of the popular languages that are taught regularly." -Catherine, '20