Study Swedish at the University of Pittsburgh taught by native Swede, Eva Albertsson. Take advantage of our introductory, intermediate, and advanced-level Swedish courses and Sweidsh Minor! Have fun learning a new language in an environment that encourages speaking and communication and using Swedish outside the classroom, including in our Study Abroad program in Sweden. Enroll in our 'Sweden-From Vikings to Now' course (taught in English) and study Swedish history, culture, and traditions to get a better understanding of what modern multi-cultural Sweden is like and how it got that way.
Eight levels of Swedish as well as a Swedish culture course are offered. For more information, please click here.
Why Study Swedish?
- Learn to communicate with people in all of the Scandinavian countries
- Support your studies in medicine, design, and renewable energy
- Expand your career potential
- Become a world citizen
Use Swedish to Earn Pitt Credentials
Swedish Outside the Classroom
- Fikaklubb--meet and have coffee with other students interested in Scandinavia
- Visit the Swedish Nationality room in the Cathedral of Learning, room 135
- Scandanavian Society of Western PA
- Vist IKEA--every piece of furniture has a Swedish name!
What do students say?
"Swedish is a great language to learn because you start speaking with proficiency at an early level."-Alli, '12
"The all-around atmosphere in the class makes learning easy, fun and not a chore!". -Erza, '16
"I feel I learned more Swedish in one year than I learned in four years of HS German." -Jack '17