The University of Pittsburgh Department of Linguistics offers an undergraduate certificate in Arabic Language and Linguistics. Students who are interested in the Arabic Certificate can apply for entrance into that certificate program early each spring semester, before class registration for the following fall semester begins. Students are encouraged to apply while taking Arabic 2. Contact the Arabic Language Coordinator, Amani Attia, for specific deadlines.
Currently, there is a limit of 20 students per academic year who can enroll in the Arabic Certificate Program. For this reason, each applicant will be required to go through an evaluation process. Please contact Amani Attia, Arabic Coordinator for more information.
In order for your application to be complete, we have provided a checklist of what you need to submit. A printable checklist is also available for you.
- Verify you have taken (and passed) all of the prerequisite courses to enroll in the Arabic certificate.
- Download and complete the Application and return to Amani Attia in CL 2809
- Write a statement of purpose and submit to Amani Attia in CL 2809
- Submit transcripts from all undergraduate classes. An overall minimum GPA of a 2.8 on a 4.0 scale is required. Provisional Admission may be grated to individuals with a slightly lower GPA when references indicate an an ability to pursue the certificate
- Schedule an appointment with Arabic Coordinator, Amani Attia (firstname.lastname@example.org). This appointment must occur between the first day of the spring semester and the last Friday in February.
Once you are accepted into the Arabic certificate program:
- Go to 140 Thackeray Hall with proof of acceptance into the certificate program to declare the certificate. This will allow you to enroll in upper-level Arabic courses.