Study Quechua at the University of Pittsburgh! Get to know a whole new world of South American indigenous cultures while taking a virtual trip to the Andes. Learn about new ways to view the world, explore the mountains, see llamas, and more. If this sounds fun, consider our introductory level and continuing Quechua courses taught by Alana DeLoge, a linguist who has worked in Bolivia since 2002. To complement our on-campus Quechua classes and community, participate in Pitt in Bolivia, a six-week summer study abroad program. Students can choose from a language and linguistics track and a service learning track. We look forward to seeing you in our classes!
Please see Quechua Course Descriptions for information about Quechua courses offered at the University of Pittsburgh.
Why Study Quechua?
- Prepare for travel to the Andes and South America
- Complement your Spanish and expand your understanding of Latin America beyond Hispanic Influence
- Learn a language indigenous to the Americas
Use Quechua to Earn Pitt Credentials
- Quechua Minor
- Certificate in Latin American Studies
- Related Concentration in Latin American Studies
- Global Studies Certificate
- BPhil in International and Area Studies - Global Studies Track
- BPhil in International and Area Studies - Latin American Studies Track
- General Education Requirements
- Linguistics Major Language Requirement
What do students say?
"I did not know that it would have such a profound impact on my academic career, but I am thankful that Quechua courses are offered at Pitt." -Travis '13
"Seven years out from my graduation, I am more grateful than ever that I invested the time and energy - and more importantly, that Pitt understands the value of less-commonly-taught languages and itself allocates resources to their preservation and elevation." -Anne Marie, '10
"I studied abroad in a Quechua-speaking part of the world, and I now plan to do research and hopefully work in a field that engages with indigenous political oppression and activism in Latin America." -Kristen, '19